Dried mango is a kind of snack or could also consider as a candy that came from a fresh mango fruit that is dried. This process makes the water in the mango to dry out leaving its sweet taste and color. The great thing about having it gives less messy in eating it. We don’t need to slice it or eat it from the bone which makes eating it really messy. It is already packed in a nice sealable food packaging giving a clean and handy way of eating it. But are you aware of what this product might have?
• Energy source. This product doesn’t contain water anymore since it is dried already. Because of that the carbohydrate and the sugar concentrate. It made the mango to produce rapid energy and extra calories making it good to eat before and after your workout. It became a good energy source for the body but is less filling because of the lack of water.
• Vitamin. Since that it is dried and the water in the mango was gone, it cannot provide the soluble vitamin that the body needs every day. Vitamin is a soluble vitamin than we can get from fresh fruits that are not yet dried. On the other hand, it provides 20 percent of insoluble vitamin which is the vitamin A and small amount of iron and calcium.
• Similar to junk food and candy. Since that the dried mango fruit does not contain water anymore making the sugar and the carbohydrate to concentrate. It became similar with candies and junk foods that are high in sugar and carbohydrates. Always read the label at the back of the packaging for you to know everything contained in the product.
• Preservatives added. Mangoes when peeled and expose to air or when you put it to the refrigerator, after a few minutes it started to become color brown as if it is stared to rotten already. If you are wondering why it doesn’t lose its delicious yellow coloring, it is because an amount of sulfur dioxide is added while drying it in order to maintain its color. If you are not used to it, this might give you side effects on eating it. It can give someone sensitivities so better to know read it first before eating it.
• High calorie content. As the water of the mango gets dry, it increases the carbohydrate content resulting high calories too. The standard serving size of both fresh and dried fruit is just one cup. The one cup size serving of fresh fruit contains 90 calories which is and the dried fruits contains three times more than the fresh fruit.
• Other nutrients. It also contains iron, calcium, potassium, copper, and vitamin E. it is not yet proven if dried mangos as vitamin C same with the fresh fruit. Still it is not possible since the water dries out of the fruit. Maybe it still contain little amount of vitamin C.
Although it contains lots of nutrient, eat it as a daily meal or alternate meal. Everything that is too much is harmful.